Monday, October 06, 2008

Drama Details

Pin It Now! So for the full version of our recent sickness adventures ...
Sunday Sept. 21st. The day started pleasant enough. I got to go to Trader Joes all by myself. Like a big girl. As I was unloading groceries from the car I noticed something strange and quite disturbing. Rat booty. That's right folks. Rat bootie and tail poking out from some of the dirty clothes on the floor in front of the washer in my garage. It moved a little so I knew he was alive, but he didn't scamper off as one would expect. So being the typical woman that I am, I ran inside to get my camera... and Shiloh. I sat on a chair poised with the camera and Shiloh shooed the bad boy toward me with a broom. Then I screamed like a girl. And the rat was injured and I felt sorry for him. I will posted the video of this incident on previous post since this one is already going to be a long one. Click here for Rat Bootie Video.
Here is a pic.

Meanwhile, Jordis had been extra sleepy all day. After the RB incident, I took her temp because she felt a little warm. It was 101.4. So I took her to the weekend clinic in Walnut Creek at 3:30pm. Her temp was 103 by the time we got there so because of her age (8 weeks) they sent us to the ER at John Muir for tests. They tried unsuccessfully with two sets of nurses and 4 pokes to get a line for blood on the top of her hands. It was so sad. She screamed her little, actually, her big, head off. After about an hour of torture they called down the lab peeps and they were able to draw some blood using a different, easier method. it came back positive for a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) and they sent us up stairs to our hospital accommodations as we would be there for at least a few days.

My Mom came to the ER to be with us. When I heard we were going to be there overnight I ran home (what a workout) and got some overnight stuff and my Mom stayed with Jordis. While I was gone 2 more sets of nurses (including ones from the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit - who are supposed to the best vein finders in babes) poked Jordis again to try and start a line. After over another hour of pure screaming and discomfort, they gave up for the night. Two weeks later, the top of her hand is still bruised. Since they couldn't get the IV in her they had to give her 2 shots in the leg (supposedly much more painful than having an IV) of the antibiotic. We finally were left alone for some sleep around 12:30am.

Monday morning they tried again for the IV placement and finally got one ... in her head. And believe it or not, that was a relief. I never thought I would say, "Phew. I am so glad that got an IV in my daughter's head." But there I was, phewing it up.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, my Dad came over to watch Lydia and Jordis so Shiloh could come visit us. Lydia had a poopy diaper so my dad changed it. But then he made a BIG mistake. He left our "handful" naked and unattended while he threw away the diaper outside. When he came back in she was standing on elijah's bed and said, "Hey Grandpa, I pooped on Elijah's bed." She must have been saving up for that.

And that is about if for the funny parts of the story. The rest was pretty sad.

Being in the hospital for 4 days and 3 nights. And on day 3 is when Jordis starting throwing up. We think she picked up that deliciousness from the hospital and if you've read my blog, you know she passed that along to people we love ... including our whole family. And we put one of my best friends into preterm labor and the hospital with it. Fabulous.

Here is my sister-in-law contracting the virus.
Pin It Now!


Jenn said...

Hilarious video. (I can't believe you thought to VIDEO the whole thing. :) ) Glad you guys are all well now!!!

Anonymous said...

I let out a breath of exhaustion, relief and satisfaction knowing that your precious little Jordis is just fine now. :) Lydia and Joshua would be terror-ific together. :)

Libby said...

So glad you are home and well--what an ordeal! There you are just rolling with the punches...and the Jordis is beautiful!