Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tales from the Brotherhood- When Uncle Babysits

Pin It Now!
Today my single brother with no children, Cameron, offered to help me with the kids. He first came over and made "green" smoothies with the kids while I made my list for Target.


I then left Cameron with only one child. I dropped off Elijah at preschool and took the baby with me. I changed Lydia's diaper right before I left because I knew that Uncle Cam was diaper changing challenged. I figured if she dropped a deuce I would be home soon enough to change it... I was wrong.

I got the panicked call from Uncle while I was shopping for a baby gift. He relayed the sequence of events to me and unspeakable joy welled up inside of my soul. Not simply because I knew I had fabulous blog material, but because a non-Mom had the privilege of walking in 1/3 of my shoes for 1/24th of a typical day. I could hardly contain myself as I counseled, "The first and most important thing to do in this situation is to get the camera. It is on the kitchen table. Document the events." He interviewed Lydia. I heard it. It was funny. But when I came home we discovered that this was too much for him. The video did not take and Mr. Professional Photographer's pictures were blurry. He was way too flustered. He was still totally traumatized when I got home and quickly admitted that women are definitely the stronger sex.

My brother is hilarious - you don't want to miss any of this.

This is what Lydia had to say about it when she could pull away from staring at herself in the mirror.

This is in Cameron's own words, "I called Wendy immediately as if she were a 911 operator ready with CPR instructions. "I'm sorry sir, but you're going to have to calm down. Find my camera and document everything. That is all I can help you with at the moment. I'm in line at Target... I'll be home by the time you've figured something out."

As I was exiting Target and heading for my car I was literally laughing out loud all the way to my car. There was a family in front of me that looked back at me in total insecurity. They thought I was laughing at them, but I really didn't want to get into the whole story so I just let them suffer. Pin It Now!

16 comments:

Meghan said...

That was hilarious!!! Oh man poor Uncle Cam ha ha. Loved how Lydia seemed to scare herself upon seeing herself in video camera ha ha, maybe post traumatic stress from todays events ha ha

Anonymous said...

Oh Boy! Sounds like the Hagen house is the happening place to be with Uncle Cam and friends. Your poor brother!! He seems quite calm about the whole situation now. Joshua hasn't gotten that far with his bodily excretions. He just likes to do it over his clothes.

Unknown said...

why the paper towels and soap? maybe a bath? ha! fantastic.

Libby said...

Carl and I just had tears running down our faces reading this and watching the video...I then proceeded to share the stylin' saturdays post and bad hagen photos '08. We have had our dose of entertainment for the day! Lovin' you!

One Crazy Mom said...

Freakin hilarious.

Administrator said...

Just be glad it wasn't kombucha!

Christiaan said...

Oh my gosh... moms and dads rock. I did not realize our job was that difficult... but, yeah, a blow-out is pretty much the worse thing ever when you're a novice. I lay blame squarely with you, Wendy. Did this guy ever take any blow-out classes, or a quick Chemistry of Diaper Wipes workshop?
I loved hearing how you were choking back your laugh when Lydia was telling her side. The poop spilled itself on me, Mommy!
I totally laughed Out LOUD!

Anonymous said...

Yep, I you guessed it... I love it! It is funny no matter who you are and the documenting is fantasic. Life is about good material... if nothing else, you have that!
Sarah

Kourtney said...

That is the best! Uncles need those experiences. Especially the single ones. Love it!

Christina Johnson said...

Laughing out loud right now...and forwarding to my moms' group (hope you don't mind). :)

mel @ the larson lingo said...

that was awesome! Kevin and I are laughing so hard right now. Classic!

Anonymous said...

Eric and I were in tears. Tell Cam thanks for taking one for the team in order to brighten up our day:)

jennyonthespot said...

OH Good GOLLY! That is HILARIOUS! *shaking head* I love howyou handled it. *Tips hat*

Thank you so much for stopping by and joining in on Make Me Laugh Monday! Feel free anytime! So fun!

CynthiaK said...

I'm so glad you sent me the link to this post. Your brother is a trooper. I mean, serves him right for serving up that whatever it was green guck...but still, so hilarious!

It's good that it's been documented for posterity. NOthing quite like a good story of poo.

Sarah Mae said...

You are a mean mean woman...and yet, so funny!

Muhahahahahaha...

So, when is his next baby sitting job?

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

I was just looking around and found this post. I am typing as I wipe tears from my cheeks. That was hilarious!! Uncle Cam is the man!! HAHA!!!!