Thursday, October 22, 2009

Spending Fast Check In

Pin It Now!
For those of you that are joining me in the "spending fast" (Sorry Solecki, not spend fast as you can. Maybe next challenge), how's it going? I have been keeping track of the things I would have bought ("In and Out Booger" after swim lessons last week ($10), a trip to the pumpkin patch ($20), a hot chocolate ($3), Phil Wickham CD ($10), dinner before the Phil Wickham concert ($15) and sponsoring my kid for his fun run ($32). Don't throw virtual pies at me for not taking my kids to the pumpkin patch or for not sponsoring Elijah's fun run at his school. Are those things necessities? No. And it gave me an opportunity to talk my kids about the spending fast. My kids are on board. Well, Lydia really has no clue, but Elijah is down with it. I did buy two pumpkins at Trader Joe's for $8 which weren't a necessity, but since I opted out of the preschool trip to the pumpkin patch that is what I decided to do. And Elijah got $225 from some other chumps, I mean supporters for his school run. So eight days in and I have $90 to give to someone in need! It is so simple and $90 can make a huge difference in someone else's life. And I'm not done yet. Wednesday I break the fast with a huge shopping spree. Just kidding people.
I would love to hear from my fellow fasters - what are you learning, how much are you not spending, where will you give? This is not for show, not to say "Hey look what I am doing!" But I think it is encouraging to hear what God is doing in other people's lives and how he grows us as we make sacrifices for others.

I have posted on the blog before about the Fair Trade company "Trade as One." I don't want to promote consumerism or buying things you don't need. But after your fast, if you are going to spend some money (because you really need something), check out their website. They have a variety of practical items and by purchasing these Fair Trade items you are helping employ a truly impoverished person. Think about Trade as One as you shop for Christmas gifts. Not everyone appreciates getting a "goat" from World Vision (but I do if you want to buy me one!) so this is a sweet alternative.

Here is a video that explains a little bit more about Trade As One.



Galatians 2:10 All they asked was that we should continue to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do.
Pin It Now!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it Wendy. I was doing soo well, and I just blew it today. However I was able to save about 50 dollars. I will try again tomorrow. :)

mel @ the larson lingo said...

I am doing my spending fast a little differently. For my spending fast, I have not allowed myself to go to Target (note: I usually go to Target 2-3 times a WEEK & spend AT LEAST $50 each time I go) so this is huge for me. I haven't been to Target since October 9th & I am not letting myself go until November 1st. I haven't done any retail shopping in the past week & am only getting necessities at the grocery store. This has made me think A LOT & has been a great experience so far & also challenging.

TDM Wendy said...

Yeah for you guys! Thanks for sharing. Love to hear that this has got you thinking.