Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Sarcastic Parenting - Don't Try It

Pin It Now! The other day Elijah was whining because I turned off the movie he and Lydia were watching because we needed to go somewhere. (One of these days I will post about how evil and awesome and necessary and bad-attitude producing and helpful television is for children.) So I said sarcastically, "Elijah, why don't you whine and cry about it?" So he threw a mini-fit. He threw something and yelled, "AGHHHH!"
So I sent him to his room for a time out for throwing the toy and for losing control and for having a bad attitude. We talked about it later. That's when I realized . . . oops.

He told me that he really thought I meant to to "whine and cry about it" and so that's what he did. So I apologized for my sarcasm and explained to Elijah what sarcasm is. He told me not to do that anymore. I apologized again and agreed.

Later that night I told Shiloh and he laughed really hard and said, "Are you kidding me? You can't use sarcasm on Elijah like that. Now that's bloggable."
Pin It Now!

7 comments:

Heather | Cookie Mondays said...

Sometimes when our kids whine and cry (which is always) Kevin and I start talking to each other in the same tone. They always eventually start giggling and admit how ridiculous it sounds.

Macey said...

Oh no!!
My husband can be really sarcastic, and he's that way with the kids sometimes. I keep telling him they DON'T get it!
Last night he did something...can't remember what it was, but he said something sarcastic and I was telling him not to. Now I can't remember!

*CPA* Su said...

That is hilarious...especially what Shiloh said!!!

Mirinda Dawe said...

Last week I said- for the millionth time in my life- to my 5 year old "I'm gonna kill you if you yada yada yada" He burst out in tears and I was so confused (I wasn't really mad and said it jokingly) but once he calmed down, he asked through little hiccup cries "Why you always say you gonna kill me, Mama? I don't want to be killed!"

After feeling like the WORST mom in the world I had a good laugh. Kid has been taking me literally with that for a couple of years!!!

SurferWife said...

It's so funny when we forget how literal we need to be with our kiddos. I am able to use sarcasm on Jason but he's older. Haley is just now starting to get it.

TDM Wendy said...

Heather, Sometimes the mocking works. In fact, sometimes lydia just requests it. Mimi, Tell your hubby to look at Mirinda's classic story below.
Sue, Yes Shiloh does not usually say "blog that."
Mirinda, I love you and don't want to kill you.
SurferWife,
Another year and I am bringing sarcasm back to elijah.

Ashley said...

haha. I dont have children (yet) but I do use sarcasm when I watch my niece and she gets very angry with me...because she does not get it!