Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Hollywood Days- Growing Pains

Pin It Now!
If you are new to my blog, on Wednesdays I post about my experience in Hollywood as a former child/teen actress. If you want to start at the beginning of these posts go here. And this post is a re-run.
------
I booked the part of Cheryl Murray on "Growing Pains" within a month of landing the part on "The Wonder Years." Two of my favorite shows. "On Growing Pains" I was to play opposite Ben (Jeremy Miller) and Luke (Leonardi DiCaprio). I knew Jeremy from charity events. We both were very involved with Athletes and Entertainers for Kids. One year he was their national teen spokesperson and I took on that role the following year. Here is a photo of us at an AEFK event.
Leo had guest starred on "The New Lassie" although I didn't have any scenes with him. In fact, I think that might have been an episode I was written out of because I was sick. I can't remember if I actually met him when he was on Lassie, but we ended up in the same acting class so I knew him before I got the part on "Growing Pains."
We rehearsed for three days and the taped the show on the fourth day - in front of a live studio audience. I only had one brief scene with Kirk Cameron (Who I had previously kind of stalked in - my hopes to marry him. And I say "kind of" only because I was really an innocent, teeny bopper and not some whack job. Really, I promise. You know you would have done the same if you had his address is 1988.). By this point (a whopping three years later), I had fallen out of love with him. Not for anything he had done in the (nonexistent) relationship. I had just moved on. I had a real boyfriend from my hometown and I was over Kirk. He had moved on as well and was dating Chelsea Noble. The woman he really married. Nevertheless, it was cool to work with him and meet him. I was truly living out my childhood dreams.
I was excited about Kirk's faith and suggested to he and Chelsea that we should say a little prayer before we taped the show. I think they were a little taken aback. First, I was only sixteen years old. Second, how many actors on their show had initiated that before? My guess is zero. I don't remember what was said in the prayer or if we had much conversation surrounding it, but we all prayed together in Kirk's trailer before we did the show.

On a side note, I did not ask him if he ever gotten my handwritten letter that I had given his dad. At this point, I was mortified that I had even done that. But I did notice that he was wearing the green friendship bracelet that I had made him. Kidding, kidding.

And as I recall, my guardians (the couple I lived with while I was down there) did say something to Kirk regarding my previous crush on him. I remember being really embarrassed because I think they said something about my marriage plans. But I've healed from all things Kirk related and am now able to talk about it. So I can help others.
This is the only photo I have from my "Growing Pains" experience. A polaroid taken by the wardrobe department.

Here's a clip from the show.

Pin It Now!

4 comments:

jo said...

I enjoy reading about your adventures. It is a nice break from health topics and home schooling..

Kara Noel said...

Hi Wendy! I was at your table and won your book at MHCC yesterday. Fun post :) I was a talent agent for 3 years (in the kids' division) before I started working at our old church.
Gonna find ya on twitter now.
http://www.elislids.com/blog/

The Resident Writer said...

My husband remembers when I made him sit down and watch The Wonder Years with me when you were always fixing Kevin's collar, and there was an audible brightness to your smile.

Your book is HILARIOUS!

TDM Wendy said...

Thanks Jo.
Kara - so nice to meet you!
White Wave- The things we make our husbands watch :)